BA (Hons) Tourism Management
Tourism is a career that can take you anywhere. Our course is recognised by the Tourism Management Institute (TMI) and is ranked inside the top 20 of the Guardian University League Table
2018 for tourism, hospitality and event management. It explores the latest trends and practices within the industry, examining the impact tourism has on destinations, as well as the sector’s sustainability, cultural influences and community engagement.
The Qualifications have developed the learner’s ability to:
• Explain the nature and significance of the travel and tourism industry by providing an overview of the various elements within which it operates.
• Explain the growth of tourism and the industry that supports it.
• Develop their understanding of key topics relevant to research in the tourism industry and to enhance their academic and study skills in order to facilitate the transition to higher education.
• Effectively match problem-solving techniques to different scenarios.
Course code: TOU6384
Course type: Advanced
Course fee: £23,000 per year
Course duration: 3 years
Course delivery: Campus and work placement
Location: Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
The qualification can be offered to Learners from age 18. The Learners need to ensure that they have
sufficient capability at the right level to undertake the learning and assessment.
English language requirements
The Qualifications have been designed to be accessible without artificial barriers that restrict access and progression:
• IELTS minimum 5.0- 6.5 overall with no fail.
• Minimum 3A Levels or equivalent qualification.
• Pass 5 GCSE subjects
We consider applicants:
• Who have demonstrated some ability and possess Qualifications at Level 3, for example ‘A’ Levels or vocational awards.
• Who have spent some time in an organisational role and wish to develop their careers further.
• With professional experience looking to change careers through work-based learning.
• The Tourism Industry Framework
This module will explain the nature and significance of the travel and tourism industry by providing an overview of the various elements within which it operates. Through discussing the historical perspective of the growth of the industry, the context of the present-day industry structure will be reviewed. Definitions and industry terminology are explained, alongside industry framework models that contextualise the study of tourism.
• Study & Research Skills for the Tourism Industry
The aims of this module are to enable students to develop their understanding of key topics relevant to research in the tourism industry and to enhance their academic and study skills in order to facilitate the transition to higher education. The module is composed of several themes which will include communication, thinking, and methods of enquiry, IT-literacy and the nature of knowledge.
• Hospitality Operations Management
This module aims to explore the knowledge, understanding and skills required of a hospitality operations manager. It provides an overview of hospitality operation management and examines hospitality operations in different divisions of an organisation e.g. front office, back office, food and beverages, security, finance and marketing.
• Principles of Tourism & Event Marketing
Principles of Tourism and Event Marketing introduces students to the marketing management issues associated with these service sectors. No prior marketing knowledge is assumed, although some students may have studied product marketing. We will consider a range of marketing methods taking account of the service characteristics of intangibility, inseparability, perishability, variability and lack of ownership, unique to both industries.
Work-based learning Opportunities:
Below are examples of potential career opportunities you could explore:
• Trainee Travel Agent
• Trainee Tourism Manager
• Trainee Tour Guide
• Trainee Transport Officer
• Trainee Travel Agency Coordinator
Learners completing this course can progress to:
• Level 7 Master in Tourism
- Start Course: September 2021
- Duration: 3 years
- Prerequisites: No